Today is International Women’s Day! A day devoted to our gender full of badass, hard-working, revolutionary, trend-setters. In honor of this day, here is a list of 5 amazing people we share a gender with and what makes them so awesome.
- Elizabeth Kolbert – She won the Pulitzer Prize in the category of General Non-Fiction for her book, The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History.
- Hillary Clinton – Regardless of your political stance, there is a woman as a front-runner for President of the United States and that is fantastic.
- Ashley Graham – First plus-sized woman to be featured on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition. Am I a fan of the Swimsuit Edition and what it stands for? No. But, am I happy that a full-figured woman finally landed the cover? Hell yes!
- Lady Gaga – Gaga gets a shout-out this year for her powerful song, Until it Happens to You, and her commitment to advocacy for the rights of sexual assault survivors.
- Misty Copeland – She became the first African American woman to become a principal dancer for American Ballet Theatre. She overcame stigma in the world of ballet to take her rightful place with ABT.
This small list was very difficult to make because there are so many influential women in the world. It is important to remember our strength today and every day and to continue to build each other up instead of breaking one another down. We are responsible for our future and the future of our daughter’s daughter’s daughter. We will make a difference.