Spring is here! It’s warmer and sunny and flip flops are now an acceptable footwear option for the next 5 months! And yet, here I sit at my day job in my office in the basement of a 5 story building in Hartford. It’s during times like this that I regret not being a forest ranger or construction worker or beach comber…pretty much whatever job lets me be outside soaking up Vitamin D. That being said, I have found 5 ways that help me get through the work day without feeling down, unmotivated, and jealous of everyone that is outside enjoying the beautiful weather.
- Keep your sunglasses on your desk. Yes, it sounds silly. But, it’s a constant reminder that when I leave it will still be light out (#thankyoudaylightsavings) and I’ll need those bad boys as I cruise down I-84 with my windows down blasting classic rock.
- Try to get outside to eat lunch at least 2-3x a week. As I stated, I work in Hartford and not in a great area. We don’t have a patio area or a designated outside eating space. So, sometimes I’ll sit in my car and read or out back on a bench just to get some sun time.
- Make plans for an outside activity after work. My husband and I love taking long walks on the Rails to Trails path with the dog or we’ll find a local restaurant with an outside patio to go for happy hour.
- Brighten up your office! Bring in a plant or indoor flower pot, colorful picture frames, or fun office/desk supplies (Home Goods is calling my name already). I’ve been slowly upgrading my desk decor and my current favorite items are a gold owl mug that I keep my pens in and the photo booth picture from my wedding of me and all of my bridesmaids.
- Spend 30 minutes outside before work. Sit out on your desk/patio/balcony with a cup of coffee or take a jog. You’ll get to work feeling like you at least won’t spend the WHOLE day indoors. It also gives you a chance to start working on your tan.