It seems that the second the clock strikes midnight on November 1st the country shifts into official Christmas-mode. Decorations have been out in stores for weeks, Elf memes rule the internet, and Thanksgiving inevitably gets lost in the shuffle. I look forward to the holidays as much as the next person…planning get togethers with family and friends, Bing Crosby, wrapping presents…I’m into it all. However, the holidays can also be SUPER stressful! Pressure to find the perfect gift, bake all the cookies, and make it a magical season for everyone involved. Now, more than ever, it’s important to keep self-care in mind!
Self-care is not always easy especially when you feel like you’re doing a different balancing act every day, but that doesn’t mean it’s not important to carve out at least 5 minutes a day just for you! Here are 5 self-care activities you can do in 5 minutes:
- Drink a cup of coffee in peace. Whether you have to get up early or schedule it into your day take 5 minutes to sip a cup of joe, put your phone on silent, and relax.
- Meditate. There are a ton of meditation apps out there that offer timed guided meditation. Make it a night time ritual to support healthy sleep hygiene.
- Call your best friend. In a world of texts, emails, and instastories it’s easy to feel less connected to the people you love. Spend 5 minutes on the phone bullshitting with your bestie.
- Take the dog for a walk around the block. Again, silence that damn smart phone. Enjoy nature and fresh air and 5 minutes to yourself.
- Rest your eyes for 5 minutes. Sometimes you just need a freakin’ break. Lay down with the lights off and a sound machine on for 5 minutes of quiet.
I make time for self-care every day and encourage everyone else to also. You’ll be surprised what a difference it can make! Comment below with what stops you from taking a few minutes to yourself each day.